Monday, June 29, 2009

"A Worn Path" and "The Jilting of Granny Weatherall"

The types of conflict I saw in "A Worn Path" was man versus man and man versus self. The man versus man was mostly just with the man she met. He wanted her to go back and she ignored him. Not a big conflict by any means. However, her self versus self was very prominent throughout the story. She constantly talks to herself about what to watch out for, such as animals, and even struggles with herself to remember why she went to town.

Phoenix is a strange character. We know of her feeling and thoughts because she says everything aloud so the third person narrator can hear her. It is a very odd trip which she departs on so she may not be in the right state of mind. She sees the scarecrow as being real at first and I also felt like the boy was imaginary.

One thing I noticed in the story was the author's constant use of color. Different colors are used to describe almost everything which could be symbolism.

No comments:

Post a Comment