Sunday, June 7, 2009

Assignment One Choice

When skimming through the short stories on the calendar for weeks one through three one author caught my eye: Ray Bradbury. He is the author of my favorite book, Fahrenheit 451. I immediately read his story called "The Veldt" and really enjoyed it. The science fiction topics Bradbury discusses in his writing are ideas I can relate to and I find most interesting.

There is much potential in creating a movie about "The Veldt" because there are many ways the story can be molded. I have just begun forming ideas for my essay, but I have decided I want my audience to really get point that technology is taking over our lives and sometimes it is good to take a break. I have mused recently on the topic that my generation seems to always need entertainment. Many young adults can not go three minutes without watching a video on You Tube or texting on their cell phones if they can help it. I feel as though sometimes people just need to put away these distractions, take a breath of fresh air, and enjoy the day.

My initial thought is to cast Kevin Spacey as George, the father, because he can act emotionless when he is numbed by the electronics of the house. He carries a sense of intelligence which can answer the fact that he can afford such an expensive house and why he works a great amount. The actress to portray his wife, Lydia, I have not found yet, but she needs to portray a helpless sense of worry. Finally, someone to pull all the pieces together and be the psychologist is needed. Morgan Freeman would fit this part perfectly because he is older and can narrate like no one else.

No comments:

Post a Comment