Basically, the idea for "Goodbye Babylon" came to me in an epiphany I had just before I blogged my ideas for the short story adaptation. I was having trouble thinking of ideas, especially for symbolism, so I began just typing everything I thought onto a word document. Eventually I landed on the topic about stories in the Bible because I always enjoy it when author's make Biblical references, and from there I created the bulk of my story. I am currently finalizing my third draft of the paper.
There are a few things I really like in my paper. The first being the title, "Goodbye Babylon." I believe it fits well into the story and even foreshadows the ending events. I also really like the symbolism introduced when changing the psychologist's name to "Daniel," referring to the story from the Bible about Daniel escaping the lion's den. It helps strengthen the theme by contrasting the psychologist with the rest of the characters in the story. The reference also brings the story full circle by connecting with the title because Daniel escaping from the lion's den happened in the city of Babylon.
In contrast there are things I do not like or question in my paper. The arrangement of the paper was hard to manage because all of the parts are connected. For instance, symbolism is not necessarily the last thing to happen in a story, it happens everywhere and simultaneously with the other aspects of fiction. Therefore, to help the reader understand I talk about the psychologist using "David" in the beginning until I have introduced the change to "Daniel" in the symbolism section. Also, I felt the symbolism section refers to some conflicts which should be in both the conflict and symbolism sections, but I placed them in the sections I felt they more related to overall.
I would really like my overall paper to flow well and get the reaction I was going for. The reaction being: an overwhelming argument for less-dependence on electronics. I would like to know if the creative freedoms I have taken help the argument? Also, I use wording and terms which can be confusing due to their arrangement, so I would like to know if it was easy to read and understand?
All in all, I think it is a pretty imaginative piece of work. I am proud that I can call it my piece of work. I hope you enjoy it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment