Wednesday, June 10, 2009

"Intervention"

I choose to read "Intervention" for my blog. The story focuses on the relationship's between different generations and within the generations. McCorkle describes the way the relationships work through a third-person narrator and with comic relief which I really enjoyed. the younger generation tried to fix the problems of the older generation, but I began to really side with the elders. There was so much conflict which had happened between the members of the older generation, Marilyn and Sid, that was hidden from their children the younger generation did not fully understand. It was ironic because Sally spoke of never telling their kids about certain subjects when they (as children themselves) were being withheld information.

The story used the word "enabler" many times. Enabler's allow people to continue using destructive behavior even though the "enabler" knows it is unhealthy or bad for the person being destructive. Marilyn enables Sid to be an alcoholic because she knows of the troubles he has dealt with in his life. She feels that she is to blame for his alcoholism so she does not stop him.

No comments:

Post a Comment